Hiking, backpacking, camping, horseback riding, reading, writing, drawing cartoon strips, Aikido (a Japanese martial art), working out to keep fit.
- Residency, Internal Medicine: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, El Paso. 2002-2004. Worked 2 years at Thomason Hospital, County hospital for El Paso, which serves Ciudad Juarez as well; performed clinical duties in Spanish as well as English.
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, 2002.
- Graduate School: Master of Arts, Psychology, The Ohio State University, 1987.
- College: Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Rice University, 1984. Courses in Anthropology, Social Psychology, Spanish, Russian, history, computer programming; three years’ experience with the university newspaper, the Thresher; active in drama and Rice Chorale; Academic Coordinator for Brown College in senior year, University tutor of Spanish and English. Honor roll 5 of 8 semesters.
- High School: Graduated 1980 from Bryan High School, in top 10 of 600 in class.
- National Merit Scholar 1980-1984
- Nina Heard Astin Scholar, 1980-1984
- Board of Governors’ Scholarship at Rice U. 1980-1, 1982-3, 1983-4
- Ohio State University Fellowship, 1984-1985
- Runner-up in NSF Grant Competition, 1985
- McDaniels Scholarship, TTUHSC, 1998-2001
Third author, “Supervisory control in a Dynamic and Uncertain Environment I” Dec. 1993 IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics.
- In College: Rice Chorale; cartoonist for Rice Thresher; active in church choir.
- In Medical School: Emergency Medicine student group, American Medical Women’s Association, Internal Medicine club, Obstetrics-Gynecology club, Surgery club, Family Practice club, Multicultural club (best food), Texas Tech Aikido Club.